Monday, May 28, 2007

What a Memory Today, this Memorial Day!


It all began with a phone call while I was working at home this morning. Sam and the boys had headed out and I was buzzing away. My dear, sweet, and precious friend, Cathy, gave us a ring. She is also known around our house as my boys' "Orlando Grandmother." She will not clarify with anyone in public that they aren't really her grandchildren; she just beams joyfully! So, Cathy called inviting our family to a small and sweet service in her and her husband's, Seth, neighborhood to remember all of those who have died for and served our country. Seth was a Master Chief in the Navy for alot of years. I told her that we would love to come. My boys are getting old enough that I really want to celebrate these kind of holidays with them. I want to help them to understand holidays that they don't really get something out of it other than pride in their heart for what others have done for them.

So, Sam & the boys got home at lunch time and we were chatting at the table. I was about to tell them about Mrs. Cathy's invitation, but I first asked them this question, "Why do we have Memorial Day?" Jackson replied, "So people can have a day off from work." That's when I said shockingly and sternly, "We are going to see Mr. Seth and all of these other fantastic men and women who put their lives on the line for our freedom... get dressed!!!" It was History 101 and Military 101 in the 1 1/2 minute car ride to Seth and Cathy's neighborhood. The boys "got it" when they saw all of these men in their uniforms and all of the spectators clapping and crying in their presence. They hugged Seth and gave him his card in which Jackson wrote... Thank you for being a hero. Coming from a seven year old who adores SpiderMan, SuperMan, and any other "hero" in the action figure aisle at Target... I was moved!


My boys got it... they realized today was a holiday that celebrated what other's have done for us and they would not be receiving a gift in any way... today was their day to give a gift... the gift of appreciation to their precious Seth and all the other precious men and women in the military; past and present!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

so good!! so thankful for the teachable moments God gives to us to help our children! thanks for writing about it! love you!