Monday, May 21, 2007

My Favorite "Not-So-Perfects"

I was having a "Count My Blessings" moment in my house this morning after Sam had left to head down to the pond with the boys. They were standing in the driveway, each with bucket in hand and cap on their heads. Of course I ran for the camera cuz they were so stinkin' cute. As they walked away and I walked through my house, I started noticing things that make me feel so blessed and joyful. Since I still had my camera in my hand, I decided to take pictures of my "happy spots" in and outside my house. I had so much fun walking around snapping spots that I cherish dearly. I thought, "I should do a post on "happy spots." Then everybody else can share their happy spots. So, I downloaded the pics and started to look at them closely... there is something "not-so-perfect" about all of these treasure areas, yet I hold these locales in my home very dear to my heart. And that's when I felt God tell me..."and that is how I love you, my dear. Yeah... you're not so perfect, but I cherish you dearly... quirks and all!" As I write this, I digest the fact that perfection is unattainable and maybe that is just what makes things special: being content and happy for the way things are!

So, here are my favorite "Not-So-Perfects"
Our front porch... I love it!! My boys got me two gardenia bushes to plant in my big pots, the windchime is beautiful, and the old cart melts me... yet, the fountain (inspired by Under the Tuscan Sun) on the wall does not work because it has to be plugged in and there is no outlet close by... But I beam when I walk to my front door!

My Fun, Family Wall... this is where all of our family pictures are hung. Not one picture is a stiff, posed picture. It's all of our family caught in a fun moment... yet, some pics are color, some b/w, some sepia, and frames are mismatched... but I beam when I walk by it!
My Quiet Time... once the boys are resting, I snuggle in my blanket and settle in for a long winters nap! I love my snuggle time... yet, you can see just a snibbet of the laundry on the couch that needs to be put up and there is hint of doggy pee smell (only noticeable to a pregnancy nose) on that one section of carpet... but I beam when I snuggle!
Our Breakfast Nook... the morning sun is gorgeous coming through this window. I love seeing the boys sit on the bench to eat and I love our family board that posts our daily activities that reminds me of how blessed I am to be home with my family... yet, the trim of the kitchen that still needs to be painted and the ivy is dead in the birdcage... but I beam when I'm in there!

Our Back Yard... so many fun memories since we've lived here. Campfires, campouts, ball games, birthday parties, jumpin', slidin', swingin'... yet, the left side of the yard is dying; not so pretty. I beam because I know why it's dying... 6 of my little boys' feet and 10 of our neighborhood boys' feet have trampled it playing everyday!

My Three Favorite "Not-So-Perfects"... yes, I am saying it, "they aren't perfect." Grandmothers hold your gasp. Jackson, Colby, and Bo... my three little men who make my heart swell, my eyes light up, and my life beam with joy... yet, they burp (and all other noises), they like worms and snakes (eek!), they fight, and they constantly have dirty toenails and fingernails... but I beam at just the thought of them!!

2 comments:

Terri said...

Thank you for sharing those great pics! Your boys are so adorable.

Erin said...

I echo your sentiments!!! I love my not-so-perfects to pieces, too!! And, I love what you said about that being like how God sees us! So true!