Thursday, May 31, 2007

Doing Life Together

Oh, the sweet breath of fresh air that a friend can bring when they just stop by for dinner. The way you impatiently wait by the phone to hear the news of something your dear friend is facing. The way you giggle about a bunch of nothing and it sets the tone of joy for the rest of your day. The way you're a little bummed when hanging out with a friend falls through.

This was my day today...

I have the honor, joy, and pleasure to have a job that allows me to minister to and love on families in our church family. I have office time, but I more so have "life time" with all of these beautiful, joyful, and sometimes hurting people.

I didn't experience any of these feelings, stated above, because these families were on a checklist for me to "minister" to. These moments I had today were because me and these precious families get to "do life together."

My buddy, Alison, is part of the "Lonely Mommy Club" on Tuesday night. She and I are the only members because our husbands are the only ones who work super late on Tuesday nights. We get her and her 3 boys and me and my 31/2 boys together for dinner at either ones home or we just decide to head out to eat and let someone else cook and clean up the mess! (We were able to get together tonight because her husband is out of town and this is one of my other Lonely Mommy Nights.) That's doing life together... no crazy effort on our part... just coming together, where we are in life together, and completely being blessed in each other's presence. Did I mention she is one of the top three dessert makers, in my book, on the planet... sweet deal for me!!!!

My "Everything" friend, Jen, was possibly facing difficult news from tests run on her children. Their appointment was at 2:30 and I just couldn't help but watch the clock and imagine what she and Jason were experiencing. I couldn't help but pray, and have my boys pray, and pray some more. Once I spoke with her at 4:45 and heard news that wasn't so bright... my heart sank and I didn't know what to say other than I love you ... was I praying because it's my job description as their Family Minister... did I call because it's my duty to check on hospital visits... no, we do life together!

My "workout and giggling" pal, Kari, called me this afternoon and said, "So, was Bo fitted for a glass eye?" I giggled uncontrollably for a minute because I know that's her way of asking me... How was Bo's doctor's appointment about his eye today? Then we chatted about her son's birthday party because she remembered I had an experience with the same place a year and half ago. Then she informed me that she missed me at the gym this morning and I let her know that I was bummed not to get to see her because of the doctor's appointment... like a scene out of The Notebook. When some one calls to check on you, remembers past incidences, and misses you... that's doing life together!

Then, my precious mother-in-law, Laura, today was her last day at work as she hit her retirement day! She said her co-workers are expecting her to cry and she keeps telling them I'm not gonna cry. So, when I called her this morning to wish her a happy last day at work, I told her to poke herself in the eyes just to make them feel satisfied. As we were talking she said, "I wondered if you guys would remember today." I let her know, of course we would. Was Laura's retirement day on my calendar... no it was in my heart because we do life together!

So, Jason... I mean Jesus, hits this point just right on... "DO LIFE TOGETHER! Minister to each other by just being together and share the joys and pains together... that is where you will see My face so evident."

Boy do I... I get to see Him shine bright through the joys and pains of my precious friends and family. Thank you all for today... thank you for doing life with me and letting me see the hand of God work so intricately and lovingly in your life.

I wonder what I'll get to see of Him tomorrow....

No comments: