Wednesday, December 19, 2007

All In The Name of Fun!!!

We're soooo naive!!!
This past Sunday night,we decided to run to the mall real fast and get the boys pictures taken with Santa. Excuse me... did I say real fast... that's where the naive part kicks in.
As we approach the Mall at Millenia... Sam and I give each other that silent glance that speaks volumes. You know the one that speaks, "What in the world have we gotten ourselves into?" As we wind the parking lot looking for a space, Sam says, "Welcome to America boys!" They joyfully continued to talk about Santa... Jackson letting Colby know, "He was real a long time ago, but some kids still believe he is today. I didn't believe that last year, but maybe I will this year!" Once we found a spot, we jumped out into the cold night... yes, it was cold!!! None of us had flip-flops on!!
The mall was decorated beautifully; the boys looked around in awe. We approached the Christmas village and the boys were awestruck by the decorations... you could see there eyes glistening. If you glanced at me and Sam, you would see us "glistening" looking at the line. Oh, the line!! Well, being the FANTASTIC parents that we are... we hopped in line joyfully and were prepared for whatever it took to meet Ol' Boy in the red suit. After we slowly shuffled in line for about 20 minutes, Sam saw a sign that said 90 minutes from this point. Oh, Jesus, help us!! Did I mention we have an 8 week old, 2 year old, 4 year old, and 7 year old in a crowded mall at 6:00pm 1 week before Christmas without dinner and quickly approaching bedtime. Ok.. just thought I'd throw that in!!
So, we took a deep breath, not letting them in on any angst that we may feel inside. So, we commited to the line because DOGGONE IT WE'RE HAVING FUN!!! A good plan arose.. Sam would take the big boys to the food court and Max and I would wait in line. Sure enough, God can use any moment. While they were eating upstairs, I had the chance to chat with a single mom about everything she was going through; one minute talking with her made any stress within me disappear. Hearing her daily struggles made my little evening of harriedness inside pale in comparison.
Once Sam and the guys returned, we had about 20 minutes to go... we could see Santa at this point.. so, it was all downhill from there. Well, almost... Max had a poopie diaper and I was out of diapers... aah!!! So, sure enough, I found a lady in line witha small child and said, "From one mother to another... I need a diaper." She looked at me kinda crazy, so I told her that I would giver her a dollar... I got the diaper. As I'm putting it on Max, I realize that it was newborn size. Can you say Bikini Diaper!!
Then, our moment came... it was our turn... see how they turned out and try to tell me it wasn't worth it...







What did I learn from this experience...

I will never go see Santa on a weekend night.
I will never leave the house without checking the diaper bag.
I will never go to a mall again...
Unless it is to have a night JUST like the one we had a on that cold, Sunday night!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

That really is a FANTASTIC picture of them with Santa - we are headed to the Millenia Mall this morning because they do have the best Santa and the candids they take are amazing!

Not to focus on the negative, but I can't believe that mom looked at you crazy when you asked for a diaper. And you had to give her a dollar?? I would gladly give any mother a diaper, wipes, powder, etc. We're all in this together, you know?

Merry Christmas to your sweet family!

myra said...

Wow! What a trip and what great photos and memories! You are troopers! I remember several of those moments with many undertow and a brand new baby, thinking yea, we can tackle this! Then getting half way through the event sweating and thinking.....I'm never doing this again. However, a year or so later...doing the same thing!

We've joined the group....stop by and visit us at www.mmerge.blogspot.com

We LOVE your Christmas card, THX!! It makes me smile everytime I look at it. I have them taped ALL over my kitchen.

May Christ Fill Your Christmas!